Questions That are Bugging me About my Golf Course (or Fields)
You have questions about your golf course? Most of them may be on the Net. Some may be here on this website. But nothing beats having a true-blue friend by your side hearing you rant about your issues.
About golf course problems, call Normas at OI2 5II 3353 or email him. You have problems on your fields call Normas at O3 5I3I 0066. He does landscaping and other major turf areas too. But not for houses please, sorry. Well…ok lah, go ahead and leave your questions on the various pages and postings about house lawns on this website. But please read the questions others have posted first.
Anyway, some questions that Normas has answered:
- There are just so many unsolved problems on the greens of my golf course; diseases, ants, weeds, patches of dead grass. It makes the greens so inconsistent. I’m sure there is someone out there who has seen these before and resolved the problems.
- The maintenance practices on my golf course seem to be done on an ad hoc basis. Does anyone know how to plan?
- The golf course looks good but comes with a high price tag. How can I cut costs but maintain the same standards? Who can advise?
- The management and the maintenance department does not see eye to eye. One says the other is wrong. Is there someone out there who has worked on both sides of the fence and can mediate?
- The golf course is wet and soggy. I want to find someone who has solved this kind of problem before, and I’m not talking about simply adding more sub-soil drains.
- I think a lot of chemicals are being put on the golf course. I want to make sure it is safe for the environment, the golfers and the workers themselves. Who can train my staff to apply the chemicals safely and at the same time, help me manage my cost?
- Many of the staff on the golf course have been in the job for a long time and may not be exposed to the knowledge of maintaining turf. I am looking for someone who can teach and train my staff. Someone who has gone through what they are doing now and can relate.
- The owner and contractor on this golf course cannot agree on the maintenance practices that are being done. Who can be a neutral third-party?
- There are just so much weeds on this golf course. Who can advise me on how to get rid of these weeds?
- Enter question (relating to golf course or turfgrass on a large scale) that you have but can’t quite remember what it was, here. Normas will answer it…
Normas Yakin is a 19-year veteran of the Malaysian golf course industry having gone through the mill from being an Assistant Golf Course Superintendent rising up to Club Manager, Director and currently Consultant. He lectures in a local university-college about turf subjects.
He has worked in several award-winning golf courses and as for golf courses that he has consulted for so far, he can count on those that was abandoned, badly maintained and poorly managed (yes, there is a difference he says).
His charges start from RM1,000 per month (he said it depends on where you are now and what you want to do next). Do call him at OI2 5II 3353 or email him at mynormasATconsultant.com. But if you prefer free stuff, he gives away free advice on this website www.PakarRumput.com which is also known as www.mynormas.com.